Sarasota Vascular Specialists welcomes our newest team member!
Richard C. Hershberger, MD, FACS, RVT, RPVI trained in General Surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas. He then completed a two-year fellowship in vascular surgery and endovascular therapy in the Chicago area at Loyola University Medical Center. Dr. Hershberger stayed on faculty at Loyola as an Assistant Professor, participating in clinical research and training the next generation of vascular surgeons. He has published book chapters discussing management of traumatic arterial injury and neurologic complications of aortic surgery. In addition, he has published numerous articles related to the surgical management of the vascular patient.
Dr. Hershberger specializes in:
- Complex open abdominal aortic reconstruction, as well as minimally invasive techniques
- Revascularization of the lower extremities utilizing bypass surgery as well as endovascular techniques such as balloon angioplasty, atherectomy, and stents
- Treatment of deep venous thrombosis utilizing endovascular interventions such as clot lysis and stents
- Carotid arteriography, endarterectomy and stents
- Dialysis access
- Renal and mesenteric interventions including, bypass, angioplasty and stents
- Chronic Venous insufficiency including all varicose vein outpatient therapies
Dr. Hershberger is moving to Sarasota with his wife Jennifer Blumetti MD (Colo-rectal Surgeon), and two children. He has been on numerous medical missions; Dr. Hershberger has cleared an airstrip for a remote hospital in Papua New Guinea, built bathrooms for an orphanage in Nepal, and volunteered at a Salvation Army Hospital in rural Zimbabwe His hobbies include classic cars and spending time with his family.